8/24/2015

A time for comics

Reading is something I've adored since I've learned to read. I absolutely love books
(which sometimes isn't the best thing because my room is bursting of all the books I own).
 
And then, there are comics. I don't want to compare books and comics at all,
what I was going for here was to explain why summer is my time for comics.
Basically during school time I'm super duper busy and as books are my priority
 regarding books and comics, I usually read books in the colder months.

When summer finally arrives and I may spend the day reading books AND comics I'm really happy.

This summer I've been to Croatia as you have seen in my last posts and
while I was there relaxing at the beach in Primosten I read many comics.
I read a few comics I was already familiar with but then
my eye fell on something I haven't seen before, the comic my dad was reading.
It was really different from all the comics I read before, it was called BLEK.


As I started reading it I couldn't stop because it was so interesting!
 
 Blek is a guy, the main character of the comic and his company are
a boy called Roddy and Professor Occultis.
The stories are either stories one of them tells, so it's like a flashback,
 or it's an exciting mystery they have to solve.

"Il grande Blek" is originally written in Italian by the trio EsseGesse,
it was translated into seven languages. Blek had it's first appearance 1954.

It has quite a lot of historical connections which I find great!
 I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers but if you are
interested in history and like action-kind-of-western-comics then here you go!
 
 This comic inspired a drawing I recently did:
 
 
My dad also told me about an other comic character, Mandrake.
 
I didn't read any Mandrake comics but I was told that his super power is
that he's a magician and he can manipulate people easily.

Mandrake was created by Lee Falk, originally in English, having it's first appearance 1934.
 
Mandrake and Blek would make a very interesting comic character in my eyes so
I decided to draw a combination of them!


 
Surprisingly I really like how this drawing turned out,
  you can look at Blek or at Mandrake or at both at the same time
and it's one of my first drawings that nearly turned out how I imagined it in my mind.
 
There's also space for interpretations, who know's,
maybe they have to work together to fight the evil
or they are dueling
 or maybe one of Madrake's magic tricks went unexpected and
he's now followed by Blek where ever he goes?
 
Drawing this reminded me how much I loved drawing
comic characters when I was younger! I even invented new one's and now
 I'm thinking about getting into drawingcomics/comic characters again,
if I find some time during summer, my time for comics.
 

2 comments:

  1. Your drawing looks good! Also, I miss reading comics too. I've read a few when I was a kid but I got more interested in books than them so I stopped purchasing them.

    superaena.com

    ReplyDelete