8/01/2015

SPLIT

Once an airplane was on its way to the city Dubrovnik but had to land unplanned in Split so the pilot
announced "We can not land in Dubrovnik, we are going to Split!" That caused a panic in between the
passengers - they thought the airplane
was going to split.

That was the only story I knew about Split before visiting it for the first time last week.
I spent one day there and explored a few interesting places I will present you now.

The first impressive thing I got to see in Split was the huge statue of Gregor of Nin (by Ivan Mestrovic).
It is 10 meters tall! His toe is golden because people touch it since the legend says that brings luck and health.
That's also why it was really hard to take a photo of it without too many people since there are always many
there to touch the toe.

Just a little information on the go, Diocletian was a roman emperor from Dalmatia, he reigned from 284 to 305.
He was born in Salona (Solin) I will tell you about in another post.
Because of the roman background you can find elements from the roman time in this town and of course the
incredible palace of Diocletian.
 

Diocletian's Palace was completely different then I expected it. I haven't seen photos of it before so I thought
it's a ruin. And then when I saw it I was speechless because of the beauty this piece of architecutre
was radiating.
The tower is so well preserved! It is honestly a stunning place and I barely can imagine how perfect the whole
palace must have looked like.
 
The only thing that bothered me personally was the mass of tourists and the heat - the reasons why I couldn't
spend the amount of time I would have wanted to at this place.
 









What I also noticed in Split were many people dressed up as romans!
Gave an authentic atmosphere between the ancient walls.
 

I liked how many interesting details you can spot on the houses.
Especially loved this house with the two paintings on it!
I don't think I have ever seen something like that before!
 

My little exploring walk through Split ended at the seafront: palm trees, stands selling souvenirs, cafes,
restaurants, boats and the sea - holiday feeling.
 


Even though I only spent a quite short amount of time in this city I think may say that it is a very interesting
city,
a mixture of holiday feeling and history, adventure and relaxation, details and monuments.
 
It is definitely worth a visit or even more if you're thinking about visiting Split.
 


2 comments: